Growing up in the South in Texas and Louisiana, my Mom followed a Southern tradition of making black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck and prosperity in the upcoming New Year. When Mom made black-eyed peas, she cooked it the only way she knew how which was an Indian black-eyed peas curry.
About the recipe
The only way I knew growing up how to have black eyed peas was Indian style with spices in a tomato gravy. Mom made it this way all the time, and this became the only way I knew how to cook black eyed peas.
The beauty of this recipe its very easy to make. Just cook black eyed peas until tender. Then saute onions, garlic and ginger and add in a few spices and tomatoes. Then combine with black eyed peas. That’s it. A simple dish that is delicious and packed with nutrients. Have it with rice or naan or chapati for a satisfying meal.
New Year’s Day Black Eyed Peas Curry
- 1 lb frozen black-eyed peas or 2 cups dried peas soaked over-night. For a total of 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika or 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook black-eyed peas until tender. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Sauté onions garlic and ginger until onions are tender. Add all the spices and mix into the onion garlic mixture.
- Next add the cooked black-eyed peas, salt and 2 cups water and tomato sauce. Cook covered for 10 minutes until the black-eyed peas are warmed through and bubbling.
- Turn the stove off, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with chapatis, tortillas or over rice.