Growing up in the South in Texas and Louisiana, my Mom followed a Southern tradition of making black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck and prosperity in the upcoming New Year. When Mom made black-eyed peas, she cooked it the only way she knew how which was an Indian black-eyed peas curry.
New Year’s Day Black Eyed Peas Curry
- 1 lb frozen black-eyed peas or 2 cups dried peas soaked over-night. For a total of 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika or 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook black-eyed peas until tender. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Sauté onions garlic and ginger until onions are tender. Add all the spices and mix into the onion garlic mixture.
- Next add the cooked black-eyed peas, salt and 2 cups water and tomato sauce. Cook covered for 10 minutes until the black-eyed peas are warmed through and bubbling.
- Turn the stove off, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with chapatis, tortillas or over rice.