Risotto with creamy arborio rice, leeks and asparagus makes for a perfect spring time dinner.
Creamy Asparagus and Leek Risotto
- 2-3 cups asparagus tips (save the stalks of the asparagus to use in an asparagus soup – recipe to come)
- 2 -3 cups chopped leeks from 1 large leek stalk or 2 medium leeks
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 5 cups broth
- Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Add leeks and asparagus tips and cook until leeks are tender and creamy. Add thyme, rice, salt and pepper and stir in with the vegetables.
- Add all the broth. Cover and cook until rice is cooked through yet with a slight bite. This will take 15-20 minutes, make sure to stir the rice every 5 minutes. Add more broth if needed to keep the rice a creamy consistency.
- Once rice is cooked turn the stove off. Add cream if using and Parmesan cheese and mix-in.
- Serve risotto steaming hot topped with extra Parmesan cheese and black pepper.