Creamy risotto with farm fresh kale and leeks tossed with Mediterranean inspired artichokes and goat cheese turns a smple arborio rice into a delicious vegetarian risotto full of tangy veggie flavor. Risotto can be made in so many variations, as many variations as the countless number of veggies out there. This combination of vegetables is especially delicious as leeks add such a wonderful green oniony taste while the artichokes add that meaty bite and texture, as for kale and Swiss chard? Well, they are just good for you super greens that when cooked in the risotto add these beautiful flecks of dark green ribbons that in my opinion looks very cool. Mix in some creamy goat cheese and tangy Parmesan cheese and you get this delicious risotto loaded with good for you veggies. Give it a try!
Swiss Chard Risotto with Kale, Leeks & Artichokes
- 1 bunch kale finely cut – about 4 cups
- 1 bunch Swiss chard finely cut – about 4 cups
- 2 leeks light green and white parts finely cut – about 4 cups
- 1 box of frozen artichokes – about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- 4 tbsp creamy goat cheese
- 1 cup crumbled or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- Cook Arborio rice according to package directions. I cooked my Arborio rice in the Instapot with 3 cups broth until the rice was cooked. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 3 tbsp olive oil. Sauté leeks and garlic until leeks are tender about 3 to 5 minutes. Next add the chili flakes, Swiss chard and kale and cook until the greens are tender – about 3 minutes.
- Add the frozen artichokes, all the cooked Arborio rice, salt and pepper to taste. Add the remainder of the two cups of broth and continue to cook everything together until the artichokes are thawed and hot – about 5-7 minutes.
- To keep it dairy free you can skip this next step. Next add goat cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and gently incorporate into the rice. Risotto is ready. Taste and adjust for salt if needed.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and mix in. Serve right away with Parmesan cheese as garnish.