Last week I went shopping for produce at Costco and came across these gorgeous looking wild mushrooms called chanterelles. Usually I find wild mushrooms to be pricey at the grocery stores and even at the Famer’s Market, but at Costco for a large carton of about 4-5 cups of chanterelle mushrooms it was just more affordable and they looked so fresh too. I picked up a carton and decided to make wild mushroom risotto that same night. Gorgeous golden colored chanterelles look and taste amazing in a creamy risotto.
An interesting observation I made after tasting the chanterelle mushroom risotto is the chanterelles were much milder in flavor than regular mushrooms, which surprised me. Mushrooms have a distinct flavor, so unique in fact that you can’t miss it if it’s in a dish. But these chanterelle mushrooms were so mild that it almost didn’t taste like mushrooms, but delicious nonetheless. Here is a simple recipe for a delicious wild mushroom risotto.
Chantarelle Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 4 cups wild mushrooms such as chanterelle cut into thin slices
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 5 cups broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp finely cut chives
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese finely shredded or crumbled. I add Parmesan cheese for a little tang and cheesy flavor, but for those of you who want to keep this dairy-free, just skip the cheese.
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- Cook risotto rice with 4 cups broth in instapot or pressure cooker or stovetop. Set aside.
- In a pan heat butter and olive oil. Add garlic and sauté for a few secons to release the garlic aroma. Next add the cut chanterelle mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms in butter for 3- 5 minutes until the mushrooms become tender. Add black pepper, chives and thyme and mix into the mushrooms.
- Next add cooked rice, salt, wine (if using) and mix into the mushrooms to make the risotto. If it gets too thick add 1-cup broth and incorporate into the rice.
- Next add Parmesan cheese and evenly mix into the rice. Taste and adjust for salt if needed. Wild mushroom risotto is ready.
- Serve risotto with garnish of chives and Parmesan cheese.