Tomato & White Cheddar Soup
- 2 15oz cans stewed or crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour or any nut flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp herbs such as thyme, rosemary or chives.
- 2 slices of bread for croutons
- 1/4 cup cream
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add red chili flakes, garlic and onions and sauté in oil for 5 minutes until onions are tender and creamy. You can cover the pot to steam the onions.
- Crush the canned tomatoes and add to the onion and garlic mixture. Add 3 cups water, salt, pepper, basil and herbs. Cook covered until the soup is bubbly about 10 minutes. Tomato soup is ready at this point if you want to keep the soup dairy-free.
- Make the rue/ white sauce: In a saucepan melt 2 tbsp butter. Add 1 tbsp flour and whisk into the butter until flour starts bubbling. Add milk and whisk in until the corners of the pan have small bubbles. Add shredded cheese and whisk in until melted.
- Add the rue to the tomato soup and whisk in. Add the cream and heat through. Keep the soup on low heat until ready to serve.
- Make the buttered croutons: Cut 2 slices of bread into small cubes. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan and toss the bread cubes until brown and slightly crunchy. Set aside.
- Serve tomato soup topped with buttered croutons, garnish with cheddar cheese, basil leaf, and black pepper.