Here is a salad with a south Indian Tamil twist just by adding mustard seeds and asafetida oil. These two spices along with a few lentils can transform any salad into a traditional Tamil salad called kosumalli.
About the recipe
I had a variation of kosumalli when we went for dinner at our friends Padmini and Naresh’s home one evening. Padmini had made with kosumalli with cannelloni beans, peppers, tomatoes, and fresh corn. This salad was fresh, filling, and packed with exotic flavor. A fabulous accompaniment to any Indian faire.
Tamil Mixed Veggie Salad. Kossumali.
recipe courtesy of Padmini
- 1 15oz can small cannelloni beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place chopped vegetables and cannelloni beans in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and let them pop. Cover the pot to prevent the seeds from popping all over the counter. Once they are done popping, turn the stove off. To the warm oil add asafetida powder. Evenly distribute the spice in the warm oil for a few seconds, about 2-3 seconds. Turn the stove off and add the spiced oil to the mixed salad.
- Add salt to taste and toss all ingredients together with juice of 1 lemon. Kosumalli is ready.
2 thoughts on “Kossumali. Tamil Mixed Veggie Salad with Cannelloni Beans”
Very nice salad. Will try some time soon.
Please let me know how you like it. It is a very hearty salad perfect for a weekend lunch with soup or sandwich.