Rose petal ice cream is an exotic flavor that will transport you to the bazars of the Middle East with every spoonful. For the ice cream to get that strong rose floral scent and a dreamy mauve color it helps to use dark colored fragrant rose petals. I find the best fragrance and deep intense rose colors are on my David Austin English roses. In this recipe I used petals from Wise Portia and Bishop’s Castle.
Rose Petal Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar or more if you want your ice cream sweeter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fragrant rose petals. Chopping them finely gives the ice cream it’s delicate pink confetti while keeping the petals from tasting pronouncedly bitter.
- 2 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 1/4 tsp rose essence- (optional. if you have, for extra rose flavor. I bought mine from Surla Table)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together cream, sugar, rose essence, and vanilla. Add jam and blend well into the cream.
- Pour the cream into ice cream maker and start the machine. Wait till the ice cream starts to thicken slightly, then add the rose petals.
- Continue running the ice cream maker until a thick ice cream consistency is formed.
- Transfer ice cream into a container and place in freezer.
- Serve ice cream with garnish of rose petals.