Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Quiche
makes 2 quiche pies
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into pieces.
- 1 large onion cut into thin slices
- 1 -2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup marinated spicy calabrian chilies (optional)
- 2 readymade frozen pie crusts
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream or whipping cream
- 3 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese in the frozen pie shells. This prevents the quiche mixture from seeping through the piecrust. Bake pie crusts for 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Take out of oven and set aside. Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil. This prevents the edges from burning while the quiche is cooking.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter and sauté onions until caramelized. About 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper and chives and mix in. Turn the stove off and let the cauliflower mixture cool.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk and sour cream.
- Add thyme, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 cup Parmesan cheese and all the gruyere cheese and mix into the egg mixture.
- Next add the cooled cauliflower mixture and whisk in. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Evenly pour cauliflower egg mixture into two pie crusts. Sprinkle some extra Parmesan cheese. Bake quiche pies for 45- 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving so the quiche has time to settle and is easy to cut.
- Enjoy with a tossed green salad or soup.