A delicious quiche made with flavorful veggies all baked into a crustless style quiche. If you are looking for a light and easy quiche to make that is healthy and delicious this is the one to try.
Easy and quick
All you do is sauté the veggies, then start layering them with an egg mixture and cheese, and then bake. The egg and cream mixture finds it way into the veggies and bakes into a fluffy custardy type of quiche.
My daughter Anjali said it tasted like the Japanese egg custard called chawanmushi 😋.
Packed with flavor and light as can be, serve this quiche with a side salad like this kale apple avocado salad and you’ll have the most delicious, healthy and filling lunch.
About the recipe
This veggie quiche recipe comes to you from my friend Rose who brought it for a post-hike lunch when three of us friends went on a walk on the beach one Fall morning.
We had gone to Pajaro Dunes Beach in Watsonville for a 5-mile walk and we knew we would be famished afterward, and what better way to satisfy our hunger than a slice of veggie quiche made with protein rich eggs and nutrient packed veggies?
We had the quiche with a salad and fresh fruit for the most satisfying post-hike lunch ever! Give it a try!
Mushroom Pepper Kale Veggie Quiche
recipe contributed by Rose
- 4 cups cut mushrooms
- 4 cups cut kale
- 1 bell pepper cut into long strips
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups blend of cheddar cheese and gruyere
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half/half or 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 slice of bread (optional) cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Take an 8×8 or 10×10 inch baking dish and generously coat it with olive oil or butter. Set aside.
- Sauté the veggies: In a sauté pan heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add mushrooms, peppers and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender. Next add the kale and wilt it in the veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture cool a bit.
- Make the egg and cream mixture. Whisk together the eggs and half/half with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Get ready to assemble the quiche. In the baking dish spread the pieces of bread (if using). Next layer on the veggie mix. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese blend. Then pour the egg mixture. Top with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake the quiche: Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the eggs are puffed and golden and a knife inserted comes out clean with a little bit of moisture. Take out of oven and let the quiche cool for 10-15 minutes to allow the eggs to settle.
- Serve with salad of your choice.