This has to be the easiest salad to make! Just toss kale, apple and avocado together with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. That’s it! The apples release their sweetness when tossed with lemon juice making the salad taste like it was made with a honey dressing, while the avocado gives a nice creamy texture. Hard to believe that something so simple could taste so good, but it does!
This delicious kale salad is one I learnt how to make from my friend Padmini when she had brought it for a post-hike lunch when we went on a 5-mile walk on Pajaro Dunes Beach in Watsonville. Served with a piece of veggie quiche that my other friend Rose had brought, the clean simple flavors of this kale salad tasted just perfect after a beautiful hike on the beach.
Kale Apple Avocado Salad
- 4 cups cut kale
- 1 sweet crunchy apple finely cut into small chunks
- 1 avocado cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp fruity olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Squeeze lemon juice onto the apples and toss. Add this to the cut kale and avocado. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss everything together.
- The salad tastes best when the salad sits in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to give the flavors a chance to marinate.
- Serve with extra black pepper if needed.