Curly kale, dinosaur Kale and Tuscan Kale can all be tough and chewy when used raw in salads, however there is a way to get these tough kale leaves to become tender so they taste great and have a great texture too.
My friend Rose made a kale salad for us that was delicious, sweet, and tangy; and the best part was how soft the kale leaves were. I commented on how the kale was not tough and chewy, to which Rose explained that she gets the kale leaves softer by sprinkling them with salt and massaging it into the leaves. She then lets it sit for 30 minutes for the leaves to marinate which makes the kale softer and less chewy while still keeping its beautiful color and bite. Give this very delicious kale salad a try!
Kale Salad with Apples & Dried Cranberries:
Contributed by Rose
- 1 bunch curly kale leaves. Stems removed and roughly chopped – about 4 cups
- 1 sweet crunchy Fuji apple cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp toasted peppitas or toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 small fennel bulb finely sliced
- 2 tbsp creamy goat cheese (optional)
- Maple Syrup Dressing
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Make Maple Syrup Dressing and set aside. Here is the recipe Maple syrup dressing
- In a bowl sprinkle kale leaves with a pinch of salt and “Massage” salt into the leaves to soften them and make them slightly tender. Set aside.
- When ready to serve salad, make the salad by placing kale leaves in a serving bowl. Add chopped apples, cranberries, fennel shavings, and peppita seeds. Toss with desired maple syrup dressing – use as much dressing as you want to your liking.
- Serve with sprinkle of goat cheese (optional).
Cook’s Notes: Salad can be saved in the refrigerator for upto a day.
4 thoughts on “Kale Salad with Apples & Dried Cranberries with Maple Syrup Dressing”
Kale is a fiber rich food and is a powerhouse of nutrients . We love to cook Kale just like we cook Spinach Kale Salad from Rose really seems interesting and we are going to try it. Opthamologists will tell you that Kale is great for Macular Degeneration but will also warn you against Overuse of Kale in your Diet specially if you have hypothyroidism. Than k you for another Great Salad recipe .
Yes, I agree I have also read that raw kale is not good for people with thyroid issues. I mostly cook my kale but once in a while like a kale salad as well.