Mushroom Quiche on Whole Wheat Crust:
makes 3 quiche pies
- 2 whole-wheat frozen pie crusts
- 6 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 5-6 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 bunch chives finely cut about 2 -3 tbsp
- 2 tsp dry herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 8 small sage leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Swiss gruyere cheese shredded
- Olive oil
Directions: Make the filling:
- Warm 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté garlic until tender. Add sage leaves and sauté until crisp. Add mushrooms and thyme and sauté until mushrooms are soft and moisture is evaporated. Set aside. Wait for mushrooms to cool before you add it to the egg mixture.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Add chives, 1-cup Parmesan cheese, 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, black pepper, salt, and mix together Add cooled mushrooms and mix into egg mixture. Taste and adjust for salt.
Prep the pie crusts:
- Preheat oven 375.
- Remove pie crusts from packaging and evenly sprinkle 1/4-cup Parmesan cheese at the base of two frozen pie shells. Bake in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted. This prevents the liquid quiche mixture from making the crust soggy. After 10 minutes take out of oven and cover the edges of pie crusts with foil to prevent the edges from burning while quiche is baking. Set aside.
Bake the Quiche:
- Fill the pie crusts equally with mushroom egg mixture. Top with a rosemary sprig or sage leaves for garnish and bake for 45 -50 minutes until filling is set. A toothpick or knife inserted should come out clean.
- Take out of oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. This gives the quiche a chance to settle and makes it easy to cut.
Enjoy quiche with a tossed green salad or soup.