When one has an ice cream maker at home it is so much fun to get creative with ice cream flavors. The best part of having an easy to use ice cream maker is that we can make small-batch ice creams – just enough for one evening. This also means that we can experiment with different flavors in small quantities. The twins and I love trying out new and creative ice cream flavors over the hot summer months.
Saffron pistachio ice cream is a classic ice cream flavor in India called Kesar Pista, which translates to Saffron Pistachio. Used to be I could only find this flavor at Indian grocery stores or at Indian restaurants and ice cream parlors. But now with my easy to use ice cream maker, making Saffron Pistachio Ice Cream at home has become a breeze. Here is the recipe.
Saffron Pistachio Ice Cream
makes 6-8 scoops
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup honey depending on your sweetness level
- 1 tsp saffron threads soaked in 4 tbsp warm milk to release their flavors and color
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted pistachios. I bought salted roasted pistachios and used those.
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp warm milk
- In a mixing bowl whip together cream, vanilla, and honey until well blended. Add the saffron milk and mix-in.
- Pour the saffron cream into the ice cream machine. Wait till the ice cream starts to thicken slightly, then while the machine is churning add chopped pistachios (reserving 1 tbsp to use as garnish for later when serving).
- Wait till the ice cream thickens and then transfer to a container to freeze.
- Saffron Pistachio ice cream is ready! Serve garnished with chopped pistachios.