Crispy on the edges, soft and flaky in the center, with a delectable apple and currant filling, this gallette tastes amazing.
About the recipe
My friend Rose makes a delicious apple galette that is always a huge hit 😋. Rose has shared her recipe so many times and I have tried making it multiple times, but it never turned out as good as hers 😞. Then at our last lunch I asked Rose for feedback on my apple galette. I explained to Rose what process I had been following, and discovered a major flaw in my process. You see, I would keep my apple mixture ready, and then roll out the pastry dough and fill it with the apples. This meant that by the time I placed the apples on the dough, the apple juices got released and the galette would be swimming in liquid making it a messy gooey galette. Prepping the apple mixture in advance was not a good idea!
Tips and tricks for the perfect galette
Rose explained that the trick is NOT to prep the apples in advance – this gives the apples too much time to release their juices. She also explained that I need to add a little flour to bind the apple mix. Flour helps to absorb any juices and also gives the apple mixture a soft pudding like texture.
A quick galette prep
Rose explained that the process of making the apple mixture is a quick one:
- Roll out the dough first.
- Cut the apples, mix with flour, sugar and spices;
- Then immediately place apples onto the pastry dough. This assures that the apples don’t get a chance to release their juices and will remain a dry apple mx.
recipe courtesy of Rose
- 1 pie crust dough – I used a frozen pie pastry dough but you can make one if you like.
- 4 cups cut apples from about 4-6 small apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour to add to the apple mixture
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 1 tbsp apricot jam for glaze
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet place parchment paper.
- Roll out the pastry dough into a 12 x 10 inch oval. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl place the cut apples. Add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon powder, all-purpose flour, raisins, salt, and toss together. Important Note: Do not mix the apples in advance and keep it ready. Mix all the apple ingredients together after the dough is rolled out.
- Once the apple mixture is ready immediately place in a big pile on the pastry dough.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry to form a shallow bowl of sorts. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Next place small pieces of butter all over the apples.
- Bake for 45 min – 1 hour until the pastry is golden brown and apple is bubbling. Once out of the oven, let cool for 15-30 minutes.
- In the meantime warm apricot jam and using a pastry brush, brush apricot jam over the apples.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve galette warm or at room temperature.
4 thoughts on “Apple Galette”
A perfect fall recipe to try out.
Have always wanted to learn how to make it. Thanks so much for sharing Rose and posting it Kalpana.
You are welcome Swati! Would love to hear how it turned out for you .