With all things wholesome such as fresh apples, oats, nuts, cinnamon, and brown sugar Apple crumble is my go-to dessert when I want to make something sweet, easy and comforting. It’s the most simple of desserts with the most stupendous of results. For today’s recipe I took my original Cardamom Spiced Apple Almond Crumble and modified it to add lots of pecans. I added pecans because honestly I was in the mood for crunchy pecans in a dessert.
I kept thinking what is an easy way to satisfy my sweet crunchy pecan craving? I decided to make my apple crumble and added pecans to it, but rather than incorporate them into the oat mixture, I evenly distributed the pecans on top instead. This gave me that crunchy pecan topping that I was craving.
With the pecan topping you get a crunchy and soft apple dessert all in one delicious sweet treat. Have it for afternoon tea, or kick it up a notch and serve it with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Easy to make and delicious, give this apple pecan crumble a try!
Apple Almond Crumble with Crunchy Pecan Topping
- 4 medium sized apples thinly sliced with the skin on. Place the cut apples in a bowl of lemon water so they don’t turn brown.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or pecan halves
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Spread 1 tbsp butter in a baking pan and melt in the microwave. Set aside.
- Make the dry mix: In a mixing bowl mix together dry ingredients. Almond meal, oats, flour, cinnamon and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Cut into small pieces the remainder of the stick of butter and roughly mix into the dry mix so it forms a coarse meal.
- Take the apple slices out of the lemon water and place them in the baking dish. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup brown sugar and mix.
- Evenly spread the dry mixture over the apples and press down so the dry mix can get absorbed into the apples as they cook. Top with all the pecans. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, take the wrap off and continue to bake for an additional 3-5 minutes so the pecans get a little crunchy. Watch it carefully so the nuts don’t burn. Take out of oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Happy Sweet Eating 😋🍎!!