Looking for a totally different black-eyed pea recipe to make for good luck in the New Year? A dish from East Africa? Try this black-eyed pea stew called bharazi created by Indians living in Kenya. Bharazi is an Indianized Kenyan dish made with black-eyed peas or pigeon peas, coconut milk, and spices.
Fresh coconut water, coconut meat, and coconut milk are such a staple in the coastal regions of Kenya like Mombasa and Malindi. Kenyan food is also big on maize (corn meal), legumes, and cereals depending on the region, including millet and sorghum.
Combine legumes such as black-eyed peas or pigeon peas with coconut milk and add Indian spices such as cumin and turmeric, and you get bharazi. Given that Hitesh is from Mombasa, I thought I would surprise him on New Year’s Day by making bharazi. He loved it and gave me a big thumbs up on the taste 👍👌😋! For a departure from the usual black-eyed pea recipes give bharazi a try!
Bharazi. Black Eyed Peas in Coconut Milk
- 2 cans black eyed peas or 1 lb bag of frozen black-eyed peas.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or paprika
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
Here is a look at how easy it is to make bharazi.
- If using frozen peas, cook them first before until fork tender according to package directions. Set aside. If using canned black eyed peas, drain and rinse and set aside until ready to use.
- Sauté onions and garlic.
- Add all the spices and tomatoes.
- Add cooked black-eyed peas, coconut milk and salt. Cook everything together.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve bharazi with white rice for a delicious meal at any time of the year!
Happy New Year!
7 thoughts on “Bharazi. Black Eyed Peas in Coconut Milk”
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love black eyed beans!
Many good ideas in this recipe. Thank you.
That sounds seriously good!
Great recipe! I made it for my family and they loved it. I loved the flavors and the texture of the dish. Will definitely make it again!
Thanks for sharing this! I made it last night & it was soooo delicious. My husband ate 3 helpings!
Looks delicious. Will try it .
Very easy to make, I hope you like it.