Quiche is synonymous for many with a good crust and a great egg filling. For me however quiche will always be about the veggies that go in it, because without a great tasting veggie mix, that quiche can taste rather boring in my opinion. When I make quiche I make sure my veggie mix is packed with lots of veggies, lots of flavor, and lots of good quality cheese. These are to me what make any quiche taste outstanding.
In this quiche I decided to play around with a puff pastry crust rather than the traditional piecrust. I was making this for a NYE dinner and thought individual sized quiches would be a great idea and doing something fun with puff pastry seemed a nice decadent twist for this celebratory occasion.
For the veggie mix I stuck with bell peppers because I love the flavor of caramelized peppers, especially when it is combined with caramelized onions and a little garlic. I added a potato for some extra buttery texture and good quality white cheddar cheese for that tangy cheese flavor. I also did something different in my quiche mixture this time, a tip I learnt while watching Ina Garten on TV. She added flour and baking powder to make her frittata fluffy and I thought why not try that with a quiche mixture? It worked! These puff pastry quiches puffed up golden brown, light and fluffy, and gorgeous! Did I mention delicious too? Buttery puff pastry with a flavor packed egg, cheese and veggie mix makes for some awesome puff pastry quiches! Give it a try!
Puff Pastry Bell Pepper Quiche
Makes 24 individual muffin-sized puff pastry quiches
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 3 bell peppers finely cut
- 1 large Yukon gold potatoes finely cut or 2 medium potatoes. I use Yukon gold potato because it cooks faster and tastes soft and buttery.
- 1 onion finely cut
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 -1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Paprika for garnish
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Thaw the puff pastry. I was impatient and microwaved my puff patry for 10-15 seconds just until a tille pliable.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and caramelize onions until slightly browned.
- Add the potatoes and cook until tender about 5 minutes.
- Next add the bell pepper and garlic, salt and pepper and continue cooking the veggies until peppers are tender – about 5-7 more minutes. Turn the stove off and let the veggie mix cool.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with sour cream, milk, flour and baking powder. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix-in. Next add the cooled veggies and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Get the muffin baking pans ready. I used two 12-count muffin baking pans. Butter muffin pans.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry into 12 squares to fit into the muffin cups. One sheet makes 12 quiches.
- Evenly pour the egg mixture into all the pastry cups. Top with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle of paprika.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and the puff pastry is golden brown. A knife inserted in the center of a quiche should come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
A few pics from our NYE dinner with friends and kids.
Playing a game of Museum before dinner.
Dinner is served.
Ending the night with sherry cake and new year’s toast 🍰🍾
Wishing You a Very Happy 2019!