A delicious creamy vegetable soup with lots of vegetables, this soup will take care of more than just one serving of veggies for the day. With 1lb of broccoli, two cups of carrots, bell peppers and a potato for that creamy texture, this soup is filling as it is delicious. If you so desire add a bit of cream or milk or keep it vegan and dairy-free, either way this is a delicious veggie soup 😋.
Creamy Broccoli Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small piece
- 2 cups cut carrots
- 1 large bell pepper finely cut
- 4-5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream, cream cheese, milk, half and half, or 1/4 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 1 -2 sourdough toast for croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a large pot sauté garlic in 2 tbsp oil. Add the cut carrots and cook for a couple of minutes. Next add all the vegetables, bay leaves, nutmeg, salt, pepper and thyme. Add 2 cups water, cover the pot and cook vegetables for 10 minutes until they become tender.
- Next add all the broth and bring vegetables to a boil for an additional 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables become really soft turn the stove off. Remove the bay leaves. Blend soup into a creamy texture. Place back on the stove and add garlic powder and stir in. Soup is ready. At this point if using any cream or milk add it now and mix-in.
- To make the sourdough croutons spread butter on both sides of bread and crisp on a pan until golden brown on both sides, then cut the bread into crouton sized pieces.
- Serve soup topped with sourdough croutons.