I had just learnt how to make this delicious Indianized vinaigrette from my friend Padmini and I couldn’t wait to try it out on a salad of my own.
About the asafetida dressing
When I first tried this rather eclectic salad dressing made with asafetida and cumin, Padmini had tossed it in a golden beet salad for a picnic we had gone on with friends.
Because of the strong flavor of this dressing the veggies have to be able to stand up to the spices such as asafetida and cumin. On stage comes this broccoli zucchini salad that I recently made.
Veggies such as broccoli, zucchini, peppers, and red onions taste amazing with this vinaigrette. Every vegetable gets coated with the little bits of spices, so you get a flavorful bite in every fork full.
The best part of this salad is that it can be made ahead, in fact it tastes even better when the veggies have had a chance to marinate in the spicy vinaigrette. Perfect to take to a party or to have for lunch or dinner, give this hearty salad a try!
Broccoli Zucchini Salad with Asafetida Cumin Vinaigrette
- 2 bunches of broccoli about 3 cups of florets
- 1 zucchini cut into chunks
- 1 small red onion finely cut
- Cherry tomatoes as much as you want.
- Few cilantro leaves (optional)
- Chick peas (optional)
- Asafetida Cumin Vinaigrette
- Make the vinaigrette and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the broccoli, zucchini, onions, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes with the vinaigrette. Toss all the veggies together. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve,
- Right before serving garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.