Pasta Pomodoro with fresh tomatoes and basil has to be the easiest and most delicious of Italian pastas. It’s hard not to like the pure feel good flavors of fresh tomato, garlic, and basil all tossed in a pasta with olive oil.
Comfort food at its best
Positively comfort food this dish is. In summer when fresh juicy plump tomatoes are in abundance in the garden and at the Farmers Markets, pasta pomodoro is the perfect dish to highlight the glorious tomato.
Such a simple recipe with outstanding results. Just saute garlic in olive oil then add in the tomatoes with Italian herbs and fresh basil. Cook the tomatoes until tender. Then add in the spaghetti and toss together. That’s it.
Pasta Pomodoro with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 4 – 6 cups cherry tomatoes or 6 large tomatoes cut into chunks
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup finely cut basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese crumbled (optional)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot heat 4 tbsp olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for a few seconds until the garlic aroma is released. Add the chili flakes, all the tomatoes, salt and pepper and toss in the garlic oil. Cover the pot and cook the tomatoes for 7 -10 minutes to allow the tomatoes to become slightly tender and release their juices. Next add fresh basil and mix-in. Lower the heat and let the tomatoes continue to simmer for a couple more minutes.
- In the meantime, make the angel hair pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta saving 2 cups pasta water to use later.
- Add the cooked pasta to the tomatoes and toss together. If the pasta absorbs the tomato juices and becomes dry, add some of the pasta water. Turn the stove off.
- Add Parmesan cheese and mix-in
- Serve right away with some extra Parmesan cheese and black pepper garnish.