A vegan soup made with loki squash and leeks that are cooked together with coconut milk makes for a delicious creamy squash soup perfect for a low-key Sunday soup day.
Loki also called dhoodhi is and Indian vegetable found in the squash family and can usually be bought at any Indian grocery store. It looks like a big fat long pale green colored zucchini. Just like zucchini it takes on whatever flavoring you add to it and is a very light vegetable as well. In this soup if you can’t find loki, you can easily substitute loki for zucchini or any type of squash you like.
This soup tastes soooo good folks, that even I was surprised because honestly I didn’t add much by way of seasonings – just salt and pepper. Of course it helps to use good quality vegetable broth as they are usually made with delicious herbs and seasonings. I also used lots of leeks as they partake a wonderful green oniony taste.
I got the idea to make this loki leek soup when I had just received a beautiful homegrown loki squash from my friend Shalini who received the seedling from my other friend Veena. Over a course of a few months Shalini had grown at least 4 big lokis from that little seedling! She gave one to me!
I was thinking of making my usual Indian loki curry but it was Sunday and I thought let me try making a loki soup instead. The loki gives the soup great creamy texture and the leeks flavor the soup fabulously. Then to give the soup some extra creaminess I added coconut milk. This is a quick and easy bowl of squash soup with an Asian flavor that comes from the addition of delicious coconut milk. Give it a try!
Leek and Loki Coconut Milk Soup
serves 6 generous bowls
- 1 large loki. Peel the skin and cut the loki into small pieces or use 3 zucchinis cut into small cubes
- 4-6 leeks, light green and white parts cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper
- A few garlic cloves (if you want to add it)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the leeks and cook until tender about 3-4 minutes. Next add the loki squash, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook the loki until it is tender about 10 minutes. If the veggies start burning add a little broth.
- Once the squash is tender add all the broth and bring to a low boil. Next add the can of coconut milk and warm through. Add finely cut cilantro and stir in. Soup is ready!
- Serve with garnish of fresh cilantro.
5 thoughts on “Leek and Loki Coconut Milk Soup”
I never heard of loki. But I bet it is good. I love coconut milk in a soup recipe.
Its definitely an Indian vegetable that I havent seen here, but may Indians have brought seeds here and grow them at home, Its very much like a zucchini, creamy texture, lots of moisture and very light. If you get a chance I hope you can try it.
Sounds good! Thanks for the description. 💕
Looks delicious ☺🌹
Thank you 😊