Are you looking for a refreshing salad that is refreshingly simple? Try this avocado and grapefruit salad. I made this salad for a spring lunch I was invited to at my friend Rose’s home. It was a casual lunch just to get a few of us together. Rose had black bean soup and corn bread on the menu, and asked the rest of us to bring something that we felt would compliment it. What we ended up with was a feast that was simple, healthy, and delicious and we were stuffed at the end of it! This is a menu worth replicating.
Rose’s Spring Lunch Menu
Black Bean Soup with Cilantro & Sour Cream – Rose
Home Baked Corn Bread – Rose
Roasted Vegetable & Arugula Salad – Shalini
Avocado & Grapefruit Salad – Me
Scandinavian Cake – Georgina
Fresh Cut Fruit & Berries – Devi
First let me say, Rose’s black bean soup and corn bread was outstanding! I will get the recipe from Rose and post it to share with all of you. Shalini brought a roasted vegetable and arugula salad, which as usual was just delicious and hearty. Georgina brought a Scandinavian cake, which was Wow – just amazing. With fresh whipped cream, berries, and homemade meringue, this cake was scrumptiously sweet and so light. A lot of work went into that cake and Georgina did a great job making it. Devi is the fruit queen. She brings the best fresh fruit and berries that are always sweet and perfect.
As for me, I wanted to take something with avocado for this lunch. Since I had a few grapefruits in my fruit basket, I came up with this avocado and grapefruit salad. It was a big hit. Here is the recipe for my avocado and grapefruit salad.
Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
This salad serves 5-6 people.
- 3 avocados
- 2 grapefruit
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- Toasted pistachios
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Cut the avocados into wedges and place in a platter
- Sprinkle chopped onion on the avocado
- Peel grapefruit and take out the flesh into wedges and place in between the avocado. If you have a juicy grapefruit save the grapefruit juice and squeeze over the avocado. This will act as lemon in preventing the avocado from turning color.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the avocado and grapefruit
- Drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Top with toasted pistachios and cilantro leaves
- Ready to serve right away or keep in the fridge to serve later
Cook’s Notes: Once you have this recipe down. You can even add spring greens to this salad. Just place the spring mix as a border around the avocado grapefruit salad, and serve them together. For some heat, you can add finely chopped jalapeno pepper to the salad as well. Don’t have pistachios? You can use toasted walnuts, almonds, pecans, or any nuts you like.
Catching Up With The Ladies.
Lemons and Flowers to Take Home!