I had the most delicious soup when we were invited to dinner at our friends Stella and William’s place one evening late last summer. Going to their home for dinner is always a fun treat. On this evening Stella and William had prepared a delicious meal of carrot ginger soup, vegetable lasagna, and a couple of local Ghanna dishes such as a thick well-seasoned stew and fried plantains. Everything was delicious. One of our favorite dishes was the carrot ginger soup which was in a league of its own. It was not your run of the mill carrot ginger soup, this was creamy and sweet with herbs and just the right amount of heat from the ginger; and the best part is that it was the easiest soup to make.
William shared his recipe for this Carrot Ginger soup which he said he got when he attended a team building event at Google where he works. The team event was held in one of Google’s kitchens and the task was for everyone to cook an item with the help of the Google chef. At the end of the event everyone got to sit down together for a full course meal to share the foods that they had prepared. William’s task was to make Carrot Ginger Soup. This is the soup he made at the event and also cooked for us. Here is William’s recipe for Carrot Ginger Soup by way of Google’s kitchen. Enjoy!
William’s Carrot Ginger Soup:
Recipe from one of Google’s kitchens
- 4 cups carrots chopped into cubes
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Ginger peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces, about 4- 6 pieces depending on how much ginger flavor you want
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or 2 cups whole milk
- 1 carton vegetable broth
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and add the garlic and ginger and cook until the flavors are released, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, and then add broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and thyme.
- Cook until the carrots are tender (about 30 – 45 min), you may have to add 1 -2 cups more broth or water if the liquid starts to evaporate.
- Take it off the heat and blend with a hand blender.
- Add the heavy cream or milk and serve warm.