makes 8 servings
- 4 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 8 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 large onion chopped (1 1/2 cups onions)
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers – or 1 large bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery about 1 stalk
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots – 1 carrot
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped – 4 tbsp
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 bay leaves if you have
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano but not needed
- Avocado for garnish
- 1 cup Sour cream for garnish
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese for garnish
- In a pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Sauté garlic and onions until tender. Add taco seasoning, bay leaf, and oregano and let flavor come through – 5- 10 seconds.
- Add peppers, celery, carrots, salt and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add 2 cups water, cover and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add rinsed kidney beans and 1 more cup of water and cook for 5 more minutes. After 5 minutes mash beans a little and add tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mix-in. Chili is ready.
Serve chili with a dollop of sour cream, avocado slices, cheddar cheese, fresh chopped onions and cilantro. You can also add salsa for an extra kick of flavor 😋.
Cook’s Notes: You can adjust the recipe to your liking by adding any variety of vegetables of your choice. You can also make this chili with a combination of different types of canned beans such as black beans and pinto beans.