My friend Veena is an outstanding South Indian cook! Anything and everything Veena makes is delicious and her vegetarian dishes are in a league of their own! Chutneys, appetizers, idlis, curries, sweets, you name any Tamil food and Veena can make it taste amazing. Here I have chosen to share with you her tomato and caramelized onion chutney that she served with some idlis when I visited her one day.
In as little as two steps you get a delicious chutney that can go with anything. Just cook the tomatoes and onions together with mustards seeds and chili, then blend with cilantro, tamarind and salt until smooth. Serve it alongside fries, fritters, in a burger, with chicken or fish, and with rice. This is a delicious tangy, tomatoey, oniony chutney that tastes amazing!
Tomato and Caramelized Onion Chutney
- 4 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp or juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 dry red chili for some heat
- 4 stalks cilantro finely chopped
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Now add asafoetida powder and let aroma release (about 3-5 seconds). Immediately add red chili and chopped onions and sauté until onions are tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft and tender.
- Transfer tomato onion mixture to a food processor or blender. Add tamarind pulp, salt, and cilantro and blend into a sauce like consistency. Tomato Onion chutney is ready!