Here is a recipe for a springtime pasta packed with fresh herbs, spring veggies, and creamy goat cheese.
Back in February I had saved a recipe from Sunset Magazine that was a pasta dish with fresh herbs and goat cheese, and now seemed like the perfect time to make this delicious pasta with the herbs that Anjali had picked.
In my version however I added a good amount of veggies such as farmer’s market leeks and sugar snap peas. I also added a bit of garlic for some extra flavor, along with black pepper and red chili flakes. And for a little more tang I incorporated Parmesan cheese and lemon zest as well.
Fresh lemon and fresh picked herbs amp up the flavor
I asked my daughter Anjali to pick a bunch of herbs for the dish and this is the basket she proudly presented to me. These fresh picked herbs and lemons make all the difference in this spring inspired pasta. So make sure you use fresh herbs and fresh squeezed lemon.
Spring Herb & Goat Cheese Fettuccini with Sugar Snap Peas & Leeks
Ingredients: for six servings
- 1 lb linguini or fettuccini pasta
- 3-4 cups sugar snap peas cut in halves.
- 2 large leeks, green leaves removed and white parts finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic crushed. I like a lot of garlic in my dishes. 6 cloves is on the conservative side, go ahead and use more cloves if you like garlic in your pasta.
- Good amount of fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, mint, parsley – about 4 tbsp finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- 8 oz creamy goat cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside covered. Save 2 cups pasta water to use later.
- Toss sugar snap peas with 1 tbsp oil and spread on a baking sheet. Broil in oven for 5 minutes to slightly char the sugar snap peas. Set aside. In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Sauté garlic and leeks until leeks are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add half (4 oz) the goat cheese plus 1 cup cream and melt the goat cheese into the leeks. Then add all the herbs, black pepper, lemon zest, and chili flakes and mix-in.
- Add cooked pasta, braised sugar snap peas, 1-cup pasta water, salt and toss together. Add more pasta water if the pasta is too thick. Crumble the remainder of the goat cheese along with 2-4 tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Serve garnished with herb sprigs.
Cook’s Notes: The kids made this pasta for Mother’s Day with a variety of vegetables such as peppers, leeks, asparagus, sugar snap peas, and cherry tomatoes. Try this herbed goat cheese pasta with any vegetable combination of your choice.