My friend Iya brought this delicious and refreshing coleslaw style of salad to our garden party a while back that was enjoyed by all. It was crunchy, sweet and salty, with an Asian inspired dressing. Part of the beauty of this salad is the gorgeous, thinly cut, colourful vegetables. When cut in this way, the veggie flavors come out perfectly in this delicious salad. I asked Iya for the recipe and also invited her to come over and show me how to make her salad. Here is the recipe.
Iya’s Vitamin Salad with Miso Dressing:
Makes about 6 servings
- 1/2 big cabbage shredded into large chunks
- 1 cup rainbow organic carrots thinly sliced (Safeway)
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 5-6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger finely shredded
- 1/3 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1/3 of a red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro and parsley chopped
- Miso Ginger Organic Vinaigrette by Organicville or any miso dressing of your choice
- Assemble the salad by placing all the vegetables in a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over the cabbage and massage in. This will release the water from the cabbage and make it tender.
- 1 hour before serving, mix all the vegetables together. Add miso dressing and toss.
- Top with chopped cilantro and parsley. If you are not allergic to nuts go ahead and add a few roasted peanuts if you like.
- You can save the leftover salad in the fridge to have later.