This is a filling soup chock full of mixed vegetables and white beans also known as lima beans. The extra kick of flavor comes from caramelized onions. Frying the onions and then adding them after the soup is cooked gives the onions a chance to keep their caramelized flavor more pronounced.
White Bean Soup with Veggies & Caramelized Onions
makes 6-8 servings
- 4 cups white beans. You can use canned or dry beans. If using canned beans drain, rinse and set aside. If using dry beans, cook according to package directions and then use in the soup.
- 2-3 cups chopped celery about 2 stalks
- 2 bell peppers – 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups finely chopped spinach
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion thinly cut
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 carton vegetable broth – 5-6 cups broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 oz creamy goat cheese or cream cheese (optional)
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Sauté garlic until fragrance is released. Add red chili flakes and all the vegetables (except the onions and spinach). Add salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and broth. Cook vegetables for 10-15 minutes until all the veggies are tender.
- Add the canned white beans. Continue to cook soup for additional 10 minutes until the beans are extra soft and tender.
- While the soup is cooking, in another pan caramelize the onions in 1 tbsp butter until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables in the soup are cooked tender add caramelized onions and spinach and wilt spinach into the soup for 2 minutes. Next add goat cheese if using and dissolve in the soup. Soup is ready.
- Serve white bean soup garnished with a few Parmesan cheese shavings or black pepper.
Happy Sunday Soup Day!
6 thoughts on “White Bean Soup with Mixed Vegetables & Caramelized Onions”
Nice soup. Perfect for this weather.
Please give it a try, it’s filling and hearty.
Dolly, Inspired by your blog today i just made this Lima bean – veggie soup, added kale, tomatoes and lemon grass , tastes great 🙂
Wow! That looks delicious! I’ll have to make it again with your recipe twist and post this version too 👌😋
This is really my kinda soup 💯 healthy and tasty💯
Thanks. I hope you will give it a try 😊