It’s the shishito peppers that makes the vegetable hash taste so good. These peppers add a little heat while also providing a nice green chili pepper flavor.
About the recipe
I made this combination of vegetables as a topping for soft tacos, and when I asked my daughter Anjali to taste it, she asked me “Mom, can I have this by itself, it’s so good.” I told her “No, I am saving it for the soft tacos.” But then I thought, “When was the last time a kid asked if she could just eat just the vegetables?“
It occurred to me that this would make an outstanding side dish in addition to being a stuffing in a taco.
Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, & Shishito Pepper Hash
- 4 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 6 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 6-8 shishito peppers cut into small pieces. If you cannot find shishito peppers you can substitute with 2 green bell peppers cut into small pieces.
- 4-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano (if you can’t find Mexican oregano use dried oregano)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add garlic and shishito peppers and sauté in oil for 2-4 minutes for the garlic and peppers to brown slightly.
- Add the brussels sprouts and cook for 3-5 minutes until brussels sprouts are slightly wilted.
- Next add the cabbage and continue to cook all the vegetables for an additional 5 minutes to give the vegetables a chance to get charred.
- Next add Mexican oregano and salt and stir into the vegetables. Turn the stove off.
- Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts & Shishito Pepper Hash is ready.
- Serve as a side dish or use as a stuffing in a taco or burrito.