Pachdi is a South Indian Tamil salad in which raw vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and carrots are seasoned with mustard seeds, asafetida, and curry leaves that are toasted in oil. Pachdi is typically served as a side dish along with the main meal. Here is a recipe for a very simple tomato kosumalli.
Tomato Pachdi. Tomato Salad with Toasted Mustard Seeds
- 4-6 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 green chili or 1 red chili (optional)
- Curry leaves (if you have)
- 1 inch piece of ginger cut into small pieces
- A few sprigs of cilantro for garnish
- Cut tomatoes and place them in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Once they stop popping, add asafetida powder and mix in oil for a second or two. Next add the chili, ginger, and curry leaves and toast in oil for a minute.
- Add the spiced oil to the tomatoes and toss together with salt and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve as a side salad along with any main dish.
Cook’s Notes: This exact same recipe can be followed using cucumbers, onions, and shredded carrots. Any combination of raw vegetables can be used to make a kosumalli.