Here is a recipe for bok choy fried rice inspired by a cute little Asian restaurant in San Francisco called Chubby Noodle.
Chubby Noodle SF
We got the recommendation for this eatery from one of my daughter’s friends who lives down the road from the restaurant. He suggested we try their weekend bottomless brunch.
With two locations in the city, the one we were told to head to was the Chubby Noodle in the Marina District on Lombard Street Chubby Noodle Marina.
Folks, this is an awesome place for awesome food. The decor is eclectic, space intimate, and the wait staff super friendly. Sprinkle in family and friends and it’s absolutely perfect.
Awesome food, awesome service, awesome decor – what more does one require for a great eating out experience?
If you are looking for a fun place to grab a long 90-minute brunch with friends and family give this Asian restaurant a try – Chubby Noodle.
Here is a look at a few of the dishes we had.
Bok choy fried rice
One of the vegetarian items on the menu was bok choy fried rice that tasted absolutely outstanding.
Finely cut bok choy and mushrooms delicately flavored with garlic, ginger and black pepper; this was a delicious veggie fried rice. I loved it so much I promised myself to try making this at home.
Homemade bock choy fried rice
The best compliment I got when I made the fried rice at home is when my daughter Sri said my bok choy rice tasted even better than Chubby Noodle’s! 👏😋 Enjoy!
Bok Choy Fried Rice
- 1-cup rice cooked according to package directions. Day old rice is even better if you half leftover white rice. About 2-3 cups cooked rice.
- 4 bok choy stalks finely cut into thin slices – stalk and tender leaves
- 1 cup finely cut mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely shredded or cut carrots
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely shredded
- 2-4 green onions finely cut
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg scrambled (optional)
- Cilantro sprigs finely cut.
- 2- 4 Thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves finely cut.
- In a large pan heat 3 tbsp sesame oil. Add the garlic and ginger and fry in oil for to bring out the garlic ginger aroma. Next add black pepper to the oil and evenly distribute in the garlic. Add the green onions and cook until slightly fried about a minute. Next add bok choy, carrots, mushrooms, salt and sugar. Cook all vegetables for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender and moisture is evaporated.
- Add the cooked rice and scrambled eggs (if using) and mix together with the veggies.
- Add freshly cut cilantro and basil and gently incorporate into the rice. Bok choy rice is ready.
- Serve rice warm with any of these Asian inspired curries Pan-Seared Tofu with Broccoli and Peppers, Cauliflower with peppers and tofu Cauliflower and sugar snap peas in curried coconut broth
4 thoughts on “Bok Choy Fried Rice”
Look what I made for lunch today . Bok choy fried rice 🍛:) Fried rice tastes so good!
Awesome! So glad it turned out great!
Beautiful picture of father and daughter!