I picked up this recipe from watching an episode of Ree Drummond’s Food Network show Pioneer Woman which was focused on quick AND healthy 16-minute meals. Of the three meals she made, two were vegetarian! One of the vegetarian dishes was a hummus wrap with roasted peppers, artichoke hearts and feta cheese with a tossed green salad – Yum 😋. The other vegetarian dish was a cauliflower sauté with Asian flavorings. The dish I chose to make right away was the cauliflower sauté. This dish has loads of cauliflower and easy to find store-bought Asian sauces. I modified the original recipe by adding bell peppers and tofu to amp up the vegan protein and served this outstanding cauliflower sauté with royal rice made with coconut milk, garlic and onions. Give it a try.
Cauliflower Sauté with Peppers and Tofu
recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman with a few modifications
- 1 head of cauliflower finely cut into small florets
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and cut into small pieces
- 2 bell peppers cut into small pieces
- 4-5 cloves garlic finely crushed
- 2-3 green onion stalks finely cut
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 -2 tsp Siracha sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster flavored sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté tofu until slightly browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan heat 2 tbsp oil. Add garlic and toast in oil for about 1 minute. Next add all the cauliflower and bell pepper and cook until they are slightly charred – about 10 minutes.
- Next add all the sauces and sugar and mix into the vegetables. Add the braised tofu and continue cooking everything for an additional 3-5 minute to allow the flavors to absorb into the tofu. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add chives and fresh cilantro and toss together. Cauliflower sauté is ready.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
Cook’s Notes: To turn this dish into a more substantial one-pot meal add ramen noodles or cooked chicken and stir-fry together.