Pistachio Cardamom Cookies! Need I say more? Wholesome pistachios and sweet cardamom in a shortbread cookie – positively delicious. I asked my daughter Sri to make these pistachio cookies for the holidays from a cookie book called Indulgence Cookies by Christabel Martin. This is a cute little cookbook with all the right type of cookie recipes – meaning each recipe is made with good wholesome ingredients and nothing complicated. With simple easy to follow instructions, lovely aroma of cardamom, crunch of pistachios, and a little edge from the lemon zest, all this makes a grown up not-too-sweet cookie, perfect to have with a warm cup of tea.
Pistachio Cardamom Cookies
adapted from Indulgence Cookies by Christabel Martin with a few modifications
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add the lemon zest and chopped pistachios and stir until combined.
- In another bowl combine the flours and cardamom. Add this to the butter mixture and mix to form soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape into 1 tbsp balls. Place on parchment paper and flatten with palm. Garnish with pistachio nuts. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Serve these delicious pistachio cardamom cookies with a good cup of tea for the perfect sweet indulgence.