Though its winter around here fall-inspired butternut squash can still be found at the grocery stores giving this hearty barley soup that nutty sweetness.
About the recipe
Add in a variety of colorful veggies such as carrots, fennel, leeks and potatoes, and a generous sprinkling of herbs and you get a delicious soup perfect for a Sunday soup day.
Fall and Winter Inspired Vegetable Barley Soup
- 2 carrots finely cut
- 1 fennel bulb cut into small pieces
- 1 leek stalk light green and white parts finely cut
- 1 lb butternut squash cut into small chunks – about 4 cups
- 1 medium potato cut into small chunks, I used creamy Yokon gold
- 1/2 cup 10-minute quick cooking barley ( I bought mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 4 tbsp cream (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the leeks and garlic and saute until leeks are tender about 2 minutes.
- Next add the carrots, fennel, squash, potato, thyme, salt, pepper and barley. Add all the broth or water and bring to a low boil. Cover and cook until vegetables and barley are cooked and tender – about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Soup is ready! Add cream if using and mix-in before serving.