What can turn a simple store-bought jar of marinara sauce into something gourmet? Fresh herbs from the garden! This is a quick and easy recipe for a flavor packed marinara sauce that requires minimal work. When my daughter Anjali made this marinara sauce to go with her fresh homemade pasta, she added over 2 tbsp of fresh thyme, 2 tbsp of fresh oregano, and 2 tbsp of fresh chives. I tell you folks; all these herbs really enhance the marinara sauce to another level. The sauce tasted so good that Anjali said it reminded her of my homemade marinara sauce– that’s a compliment folks! Because my homemade marinara sauce takes hours to make, while this one just took 15 minutes!
This version of jazzed up store-bought marinara sauce is so good that when my eldest daughter came home and tasted the sauce she couldn’t stop gushing about how delicious it was. Add in extra veggies if you like, but not necessary, because it really is all about the fresh herbs 🌿🌿🌿 this time.
Jazzed Up Marinara Sauce with Garden Fresh Herbs
- 1 jar of store bought marinara sauce
- Generous amount of fresh herbs. 2 tbsp fresh thyme, 2 tbsp fresh oregano, 2 tbsp fresh chives, mint if you like – all finely chopped.
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 zucchini finely cut
- 1 bell pepper finely cut
- Chili flakes 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Olive oil
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the garlic and fry in the oil for a few seconds. Add the chili flakes if using and toast in oil for a couple of seconds.
- Add the zucchini and peppers and a pinch of salt. Cook the veggies for 5 minutes until tender.
- Next add all the herbs and mix into the veggies and continue cooking for a couple of minutes so the fragrance of herbs is released.
- Next add a jar of marinara sauce and bring sauce to a low boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes jazzed up pasta sauce is ready! Serve over pasta of your choice.