Whether you make homemade pasta for your family or with friends, this is a no-mistake, easy to make, always a hit, delicious fresh pasta recipe! Give it a try!
About the recipe
Tender pasta that is soft yet al-dente is so delicious that anything you add to it tastes amazing.
We learnt how to make fresh homemade pasta from our friend Rose a while back and she learnt how to make pasta from a local Italian chef while vacationing in Italy, so you know it’s delicious!
Anjali’ pasta making with friends
My daughter Anjali invited a couple of her friends over this summer to make fresh pasta and this time made a pasta shape called farfalle also known as bow-tie pasta.
The process is the same as our original homemade pasta recipe; all we did is change the shape of the pasta for this fun afternoon with friends.
With a jazzed up store-bought marinara sauce, this farfalle pasta is positively delicious 😋.
Homemade Farfalle Bow Tie Pasta
- 200g 00 pasta flour or zero flour (about 1.5 cups).
- 2 eggs plus yolk of 3rd egg.
- On a clean surface place the flour and make a well. Add 2 eggs plus yolk of 3rd egg in well.
- Fold eggs into flour until the eggs are well incorporated into the flour.
- Knead the dough until all lumps are removed and the dough looks smooth. This takes a lot of muscle and a few minutes. Unlike pastry dough, pasta dough can be kneaded into a smooth texture. Keep extra flour handy to prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers. You can also add a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While the dough is resting make the pasta sauce.
- After 30 minutes roll dough into a thin sheet. Make sure to flour the surface and the dough generously to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin and the counter.
- You can keep flouring the dough as you roll. This will take some muscle and a few minutes to do. The dough should be rolled out into a thin sheet. Because three friends were rolling the dough we cut our dough it into three equal parts.
- Next cut the dough into thin strips. And then into squares.
- Take each square and crimp the dough in the middle to make a bow tie pasta shape. Place the small bow tie pastas on parchment paper and continue to work the rest of the dough.
- Once all the farfalle is ready get ready to cook the pasta. Boil water with plenty of salt and olive oil. Add the fresh pasta and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, drain the pasta and top with marinara sauce.
- Farfalle pasta with marinara sauce is ready!
- Serve with grape juice for a delicious Italian inspired lunch or dinner!