Almond and cardamom together in a recipe is nothing new to me as I have made many Indian sweets with these two ingredients, so I knew this combo would taste wonderful in an ice cream, but mint on the other hand is a new addition and I was dubious about adding it to this combo. This combination of flavors might sound unusual together but they actually taste really good in this ice cream. I would even venture to say this is an avant garde ice cream with flavors that are not typically seen together. Surprisingly though mint tastes wonderful in this ice cream as it adds a burst of unexpected minty freshness to the cardamom spice and almond flavors. It doesn’t take much to infuse the mint flavor as just a hint is all you need to give the ice cream that perplexed “I wonder what that flavor is 🤔?” type of reaction. Give it a try!
Toasted Almond Cardamom Ice cream with Mint and Almond Liqueur
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp almond liqueur (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint from about 4 mint leaves
- 1/4 -1/2 cup honey
- In a small bowl mix all ingredients together with a whisk except for the almonds.
- Pour into the ice cream maker. Wait till the ice cream starts to thicken and then add the chopped toasted almonds.
- Continue the ice cream maker until ice cream is thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a container and place in the freezer for the ice cream to become firm.
- Serve ice cream with mint garnish and a dusting of cardamom powder.