This combination of flavors might sound unusual together but they actually taste really good in this ice cream. I would even venture to say this is an avant garde ice cream with flavors that are not typically seen together.
About the recipe
Almond and cardamom together in a recipe is nothing new to me as I have made many Indian sweets with these two ingredients, so I knew this combo would taste wonderful in an ice cream, but mint on the other hand is a new addition and I was dubious about adding it.
Surprisingly though mint tastes wonderful in this ice cream as it adds a burst of unexpected minty freshness to the cardamom spice and almond flavors. It doesn’t take much to infuse the mint flavor as just a hint is all you need to give the ice cream that perplexed “I wonder what that flavor is 🤔?” type of reaction. Give it a try!
Toasted Almond Cardamom Ice cream with Mint and Almond Liqueur
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp almond liqueur (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint from about 4 mint leaves
- 1/4 -1/2 cup honey
- In a small bowl mix all ingredients together with a whisk except for the almonds.
- Pour into the ice cream maker. Wait till the ice cream starts to thicken and then add the chopped toasted almonds.
- Continue the ice cream maker until ice cream is thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a container and place in the freezer for the ice cream to become firm.
- Serve ice cream with mint garnish and a dusting of cardamom powder.