Fennel, juicy oranges, dried cranberries and capers all tossed in a leafy green salad with an orange vinaigrette makes this a wonderful sweet and tangy refreshing salad.
Fresh oranges add a burst of citrus flavor while the fennel gives the salad a crunchy anise-like flavor. Add sweet dried cranberries, briny capers and a few nuts and this salad takes care of all flavors and textures – crunchy, soft, sweet, sour = delicious 😋.
About the recipe
I had this delicious orange and fennel salad at an intimate lunch hosted by my friend Rose a while back. A small group of us got together to celebrate our unique friendship and this fennel and orange salad was on the menu. It added a light freshness to our lunch and started off our afternoon gathering in a perfectly delicious way.
Shaved Fennel and Orange Salad
recipe contributed by Rose
- 1 Fennel bulb cut into thin slices
- 2 oranges – navel and tangerine peeled and separated
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp capers or 1/4 cup briny olives
- Pine nuts & roasted pistachios – as much as you want
- 1/2 lb super greens blend of arugula leaves, spinach, radicchio and lettuce
- Orange dijon vinaigrette
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice from 1/2 orange – about 1/4 cup
- 6 tbsp Muscat vinegar or any sweet balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- Feta cheese as much as you want (optional)
- Make the salad dressing. Orange dijon vinaigrette
- Place the shaved fennel, orange slices and capers at the bottom of a salad bowl. Top with super greens. Then sprinkle cranberries and nuts. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Right before serving salad toss with orange vinaigrette.
- Top with feta cheese (optional) and serve right away.
2 thoughts on “Shaved Fennel and Orange Salad”
Love this salad.
Awesome! Let me know how you like it!