It’s April and juicy sweet oranges are still available at the markets, and here in our Bay Area I can even pick them up at street corners where vendors sell seasonal fruits such as oranges in March and apricots, strawberries and peaches in the summer. Last week I bought from a vendor on the corner of our local park a bag of over 20 oranges for $5!! What a deal! These were delicious sweet oranges that the family has been enjoying every day and I’ve been adding an orange to my Greek yogurt and granola routine in the mornings too.
With all these oranges in abundance I made an orange salad to take to my good friend Rose’s place for a low-key springtime lunch last week. Rose invited me and our mutual friend Shalini for a casual lets catch-up type of lunch and made a crustless quiche as the main course, while our friend Shalini brought a kale and cabbage salad. Can I just say that when we get together our lunch is ALWAYS the healthiest and most delicious lunch ever! Rose added her usual baked goods for dessert and this time she made a deep dark banana chocolate cake and her signature scones. This was one deliciously awesome spring lunch! 🌸🌷🌿
Getting back to this orange salad. I wanted to keep it on the lighter side with a delicate blend of spring greens and juicy sweet oranges, which I then topped with briny olives, red onions, and an avocado. Toss these veggies with a mustardy vinaigrette for a lovely sweet and tangy salad. Simple, easy and delicious. And since its spring and pansies are in bloom I decorated the salad with edible blue pansies. Don’t these pansies look beautiful on the backdrop of orange and green?
Orange and Avocado Spring Green Salad
- 5-6 cups spring greens mix
- 2 navel oranges peeled and cut into big circles
- 1/4 cup red onion finely cut
- 1/4 cup olives or 2-4 tbsp capers
- 1 large avocado cut into slices
- 2 green onion stalks finely cut
- Pansy blossoms
- A few nuts of your choice – I used toasted pecans and pistachios
- Mustard honey vinaigrette
- Make vinaigrette and set aside.
- Place half of the orange slices at the bottom of a salad bowl. Top with salad greens. Then place the remainder of the orange slices on top of greens. Scatter red onions, green onions and olives.
- Cut an avocado into slices and coat them with lemon juice. Place these slices around the salad.
- Gently place pansy blossoms over the salad. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Right before serving salad toss with vinaigrette and nuts. Serve right away.