A delicious springtime pasta made with spring time veggies, fresh herbs and a touch of cream, this pasta is springy delicious 😋🍜🌿🌺🌷!
My latest Farm Fresh box had springtime veggies such as green onions, early spring white onions, leeks, kale, cabbage, celery root, and tri-colored baby carrots.
These veggies looked so good that I really wanted to make something that would show off their beauty.
I was initially planning on making a soup, but then decided to make something heartier for our Saturday night dinner such as this spring onion and kale pasta.
My venture into farm box deliveries
I got this beautiful bunch of veggies in my Farm Fresh to You delivery this week and I couldn’t wait to make something delicious with them. The box had a wonderful assortment of veggies ranging from early spring onions to green onions, leeks, kale, and celery root just to name a few.
First time ever doing farm box deliveries and I am hooked!
First off let me start off by saying that this is the first time ever I have ordered one of these farm boxes that gets delivered at our doorstep. I vehemently opposed this service for so long.
For one I enjoy picking my own veggies and stopping by the Sunday Farmer’s Market, and I also just felt all that gas being wasted delivering veggies door to door and lets not forget the box packaging that gets used to deliver these veggies to every customer, I just felt all these were not good for the environment.
Anyway, long story short, I just didn’t buy into this concept. Then here I am perusing the web and an ad pops up for local farm fresh veggies delivered to our door every week, that ad was darn good if do say so myself! Good enough to tempt me to sign up!
What got me sucked into the delivery service is the choice I had of cancelling any time with no penalties.
Well, I am on week two of their weekly deliveries and I am ashamed to say that I like it. I like that I get a box of seasonal veggies chosen by me delivered at my door.
I like that this box takes away my panic attack when I am out of veggies (our family eats vegetarian at home, we need lots of veggies!) I know I am getting a delivery soon.
And I like that it forces me to get creative with veggies that are delivered because what’s delivered is only what’s grown at that time at the farms. I mean, look at these gorgeous fresh veggies!!
Mind you, this delivery by no means takes care of all my veggie needs, I still need to make my veggie shopping at the Indian grocery store and stop by the local Farmer’s Markets, however this veggie delivery does give me loads of fresh veggies every week. How can I complain about farm fresh veggies delivered to my door? I am a reluctant convert.
About the recipe
I used fresh pasta as fresh pasta is more tender and goes really well with delicate spring veggies. It also cooks faster and gets creamier. So if you can, make this dish with fresh pasta, which can be picked up at any grocery store in the cheese and milk isle.
3 varieties of onions for fabulous flavor
Now for the veggies. Leeks, green onions, and white onions are what give this pasta that delicious flavor. These varieties of onions all get nice and tender and creamy when cooked in butter and olive oil, then add a hint of garlic, fresh kale, peas and carrots to make it extra veggielicious.
Next add the pasta, fresh herbs and cream and you get this delicious onion based pasta with delicate spring veggies.
Positively delicious this pasta is! You don’t even need a salad since this has so many vegetables. Just serve with some crusty bread and a glass of wine. Happy April Everyone! 🌷🌿🌸
Spring Onion Pasta with Kale and Green Peas
- 1 lb fettuccini pasta
- 2 white onions finely cut about 3 cups
- 2-3 leeks light green and white parts finely cut about 2 cups
- 3 stalks green onion finely cut about 1 cup
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups finely cut kale from 1 bunch. Remove the tough inner stalk and use just the green parts
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Carrots if you want but not needed. I used carrots mainly becaue I got some in my farmer’s basket.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add all the onions and leeks (but not the green onions) and cook for about 5 minutes until they are tender.
- Next add the garlic, green peas, kale, salt, black pepper plus 1/2 cup water, and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until veggies are tender.
- To the veggies add 1 cup cream plus 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Turn the stove off and set aside.
- Boil water with salt and olive oil and cook pasta. Save 2 cups pasta water before straining the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the veggies. Add the fresh oregano. Add 1 cup pasta water to make a creamy sauce. Toss everything together.
- Turn the stove back on and cook everything together until you get a bubbly sauce that is not too thick – about 2 minutes. If needed add more pasta water if the pasta gets too thick. Once the sauce is hot and bubbly pasta is ready.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and green onions and serve right away.
- Garnish with extra Parmesan and black pepper.