Here is a wonderful recipe made with delicious caramelized onions and greens.
About the recipe
Butter, onions, greens plus pasta equals a delicious gourmet tasting pasta that you will make again and again.
This recipe is one that I got in a newsletter from Nickel and Nickel Winery in Napa during our Shelter in Place time, and the recipe wasn’t even a complete typed up recipe. It was more of a narrative on what the vintner had for dinner. All it said was ..
“Last Wednesday I opened a bottle of Merlot and made buttery papparadelle pasta with pork, garlic and braising greens. Short on pork? Caramelized onions make a rich, satisfying substitute.”
That’s all the recipe said, but the words greens, caramelized onions and garlic leapt off the screen and I made my own pasta that same evening!
My vegetarian version of Buttery Papparadelle Pasta with Braising Greens and Caramelized Onions turned out phenomenal!
Springtime greens taste wonderful
Green leafy vegetables such as kale, Swiss chard, turnip greens, collard, and spinach are at their peak right now at springtime. When combined with caramelized onions all cooked in butter, these greens taste amazing in anything from eggs to rice to pasta!
Butter, onions, greens plus pasta equals delicious!
There is something about cooking onions in butter that creates an intoxicatingly delicious flavor. Add to that fresh greens and pasta and its a marriage made in heaven.
Fresh pasta for a creamy texure
To get that creamy texture in the pasta without the use of any cream, rue or broth – make sure to use fresh pasta. Fresh pasta is more starchy and their pasta water is more starchy too. All it takes is a cup of that starchy pasta water to make a light and flavorful sauce.
Pasta with Buttery Caramelized Onions and Braising Greens
- 2 12 oz packages of Fresh papparadelle pasta
- 6 cups finely cut greens such as turnip greens, collard greens, kale, or Swiss chard
- 2 large yellow or white onions
- 4 green onion stalks finely cut
- 6 cloves garlic finely minced
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- Warm 2 tbsp olive oil with 2 tbsp butter. Then add the onions and white parts of green onions and cook on medium heat until onions become tender and slightly caramelized – meaning they are slightly browned. This takes about 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and chili flakes and mix in. Then add the greens and green parts of green onions. Cook the greens for 3-5 minutes until they are cooked and tender. Add salt to taste and black pepper.
- In the meantime cook the fresh pasta according to package directions in salted boiling water. Save 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add the cooked pasta to the greens. Add 1 tbsp of butter. Add the pasta water. Stir everything together and. Then continue to warm through for 3-5 minutes.
- Once warmed through turn the stove off. Pasta is ready. Serve with garnish of extra black pepper.
Pasta and a glass of merlot. What’s more perfect on a stay at home type of dinner.
4 thoughts on “Pasta with Buttery Caramelized Onions and Braising Greens”
This was really delicious! Thank you for the recipe!
That is so awesome to hear! Thank you for coming back and letting me know!
Looks delicious! Like you said perfect for Shelter at home days.
I hope you will try making it Basanthi, its delicious!