Super Greens are a blend of leafy green vegetables that are a mix of baby kale, spinach, Swiss chard and turnip greens. What makes this combination of greens so delicious in this curry is that the greens themselves have a distinct flavor of their own making this a very flavorful dish. Lightly browned shallots and spices such as coriander and turmeric add just the right amount of seasoning to turn these greens into a delicious curry perfect to have as a side with chicken or fish, or serve it with naan, rice or chapati.
Caramelized Shallots and Super Greens Curry
makes 5-6 servings
- 4 shallots finely cut or 1 large onion finely cut
- 10-12 cups finely cut super greens. If you can’t find this leafy blend, feel free to make this curry with any greens of your choice fresh or frozen.
- 1 tomato finely cut
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 block paneer or tofu – 14oz. The curry can also be made without paneer and tofu.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder or paprika (optional)
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a pan sauté paneer or tofu in 1 tbsp oil until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In another pan warm 2 tbsp oil and toast cumin seeds for 3-5 seconds. Add shallots and cook until brown and caramelized – about 3-5 minutes. Add coriander powder, turmeric, and chili powder and mix into the shallots.
- Add all the cut greens, tomato, salt and 1 cup water and mix everything together. Cover the pot and cook until greens are cooked and tender about 5- 7 minutes.
- Once the greens are cooked, add paneer or tofu and mix in. Add one more cup of water, close the pot and cook covered for 5 more minutes to allow the flavors to get absorbed into the paneer and tofu.
- After 5 minutes, turn the stove off. Add juice of lemon and garnish with fresh cilantro. Super greens curry with paneer is ready.
- Serve super greens curry warm over rice, quinoa, or have with chapati, naan, or tortillas. This will also make a great side dish.