All this Stay at Home mandate is making me stir crazy that I am definitely baking more than I should, and normally do. You see my allergies are so aggravated lately that when I go for a walk outside I have come home with the worst allergy attack with itchy watery eyes, scratchy throat, cough, and sinus headache from all the pollen out there, so I’ve been staying in the last week and just venturing into the garden instead. Not being able go out and do much else, leaves me with plenty of time on my hands that even a simple recipe on the back of a sugar package seems enticing to bake!
This cake is a recipe I came across on the back of a sugar package I had bought recently, called Simple Yogurt Cake the recipe actually caught the eye of my daughter Rani who casually mentioned that I should try and make it. I did! I was in a mood for a simple cake and this recipe fit that criteria perfectly.
Made with the usual cake ingredients – flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla, but what sets this recipe apart is that it also includes yogurt and almond extract. I love both! The yogurt is what makes the cake more dense and silken and the almond extract turns this cake into more of an almond cake. The texture of this cake is like a cross between a sponge cake and a pound cake but without all the butter.
Serve it with whipped cream and toasted almond ice cream for a delicious nutty dessert, or just have it on its own with a cup of coffee or tea. Either way this cake tastes delicious in a humble sort of way.
Though the original recipe didn’t ask for toasted almonds, I figured why not? And topped the cake with over a cup of slivered almonds. These almonds get all toasty while the cake is baking adding a fabulous crunch to the soft cake beneath.
With loads of almond flavor, I probably could have made this with a combination of almond flour, but this time decided to follow the recipe just the way it was presented. Not overly sweet, but with the right amount of sugar to feel like a treat, give this cake a try.
Simple Yogurt Cake
from the back of 365 Cane Sugar Packaging
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil plus more for oiling pan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a 9 or 10 inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Oil the paper and dust with sugar.
- In bowl whisk together yogurt, sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the yogurt mixture with the flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan and top with the slivered almonds. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean with a few little crumbs sticking to it.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Remove the parchment paper and cool completely before serving.