I was looking for a way to use up a large quantity of shishito peppers when I got the idea to use them in a stir-fry rice. The rice tasted so good that my family was having it by the bowl fulls. It tasted even better the next day as all the flavors have a chance to get absorbed into the rice.
About the recipe
I cut up the peppers into bite size pieces, sautéed them until they were tender and charred. Then added fresh coconut, a couple of Indian spices, salt and sugar. The result is this delicious Shishito pepper stir fry coconut rice. If you love Shishito peppers or Padron peppers,this is an awesome recipe to use up a good amount of these peppers. Give it a try!
Shishito Pepper Stir Fry Coconut Rice
- 1 cup Basmati rice cooked according to package directions. After the rice is cooked, fluff with 1 tsp coconut oil or any oil and set aside to cool.
- 1 onion finely cut
- 1 lb Shishito peppers finely cut. I used a lot almost 6 cups cut peppers! Or you can use 3 bell peppers finely cut.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened frozen or fresh grated coconut
- Cilantro for garnish
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Coconut oil or oil
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Asafetida powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (optional) add it for a lovely golden yellow color. I chose to leave it out this time.
- In a sauté pan dry roast the coconut until slightly brown. Set aside
- In the same sauté pan heat 3 tbsp olive oil. Add the asafetida and fenugreek powder and fry in the oil for just a second or two then immediately add the onions. Fry the onions for a few minutes until onions are translucent. To the onions add turmeric if using.
- Next add the cut peppers and cook until they are tender and slightly charred. Stir every couple of minutes to prevent the peppers from sticking to the pan. This may take about 10 minutes.
- Next add the cooled rice, coconut, salt, and sugar, and mix all together and steam for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Add juice of lemon and stir in. The rice tastes best when it has had a chance to sit for about 15 minutes to give all the flavors a chance to get absorbed into the rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
6 thoughts on “Shishito Pepper Stir Fry Coconut Rice”
Dolly : I use a lot of Peppers ( Shishito or Bell peepers of all Colors) in my Receipes as they are low in Calories , Fiber Rich and most importantly a welcome addition to a Low Carb diabetic diet …. And the Food looks so colorful …
My domestic help from Thailand saw this and exclaimed ” That is so nutritious and full of Veggie Goodness “
That’s great! A lovely compliment. Thank you!
Yes, I too love peppers of all types. They are one of my favorite veggies.
Another must try dish!😋
You will love this rice Rose!