Hot and sour soup. We love this soup in our family! Hot and sour soup has to be one of our favorite soups, but until recently I never thought of making it at home. We get the most delicious hot and sour soup at our local Chinese restaurants that I never bothered to try. My kids on the other hand are a lot more adventurous and ventured to make this soup at home for our Christmas dinner last month. They did their research and chose to use Jaime Oliver’s vegetarian hot and sour soup recipe and surprisingly it was easier to make than I expected and tasted delicious.
With the flavors of ginger, garlic and soy sauce, and a generous amount of shitake mushrooms all of which flavor the broth, this hot and sour soup is delicious as it gets. Give it a try!
Hot and Sour Egg Drop Soup
with inspiration from Jamie Oliver.com
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 fresh red chilies deseeded and finely cut
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and cut into small pieces
- 250 g shitake mushrooms, cleaned and cut into thin strips
- 225 g bamboo shoots, drained or canned baby corn
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 block of extra firm tofu cut into thin strips
- 2 spring onions cut into small pieces
- ½ bunch of chives finely chopped 4 tbsp
- 1 large free-range egg beaten and set aside
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a mini food processor blend together ginger, garlic and chili.
- In another bowl mix together honey, rice vinegar and soy sauce.
- Warm 2 tbsp oil and fry the garlic ginger chili mixture until the raw aroma of green chili and garlic is gone about 2-3 minutes, Add 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Then add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender and golden in color.
- Next add the vegetable stock and bring to a low boil. Add the soy sauce mixture.
- Get ready to swirl in the egg. Stir the broth first and then slowly add the egg to create thin ribbons. Next gently add the tofu and warm through. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Lastly add the green onions and chives. Serve hot with chopped cilantro.