First of all let me say I’d never had pureed chick pea soup until this one. My friend Rose made this soup and I call it The World in Your Soup Curried Chick Pea Soup. Why? Because when I saw the recipe, it had a little bit of something from all corners of the world! Curry powder from India, coconut milk that I associate with Thailand and Malaysia and South East Asia, chickpeas that I associate with the Mediterranean regions, peppitas from South America & Spain, and even Maple Syrup from North America! Seriously, have you ever had a soup that had a little flavoring from all corners of the world? Here is the recipe.
The World in Your Soup – Curried Chick Pea Soup
from www.couplecooks.com with a few of Rose’s modifications
makes 4-6 servings
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4-5 cups broth or 1 carton vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Peppitas for garnish
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Sauté onions, ginger and garlic until tender. Add curry powder and mix-in.
- Add chickpeas, broth and salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes to bring the soup to a boil and let all the flavors cook together. Turn stove off.
- Pour the soup in a blender and puree. Place back on pan, add maple syrup, coconut milk and warm through about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with peppitas for garnish and extra drizzle of maple syrup or coconut milk.