makes 6 servings
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 6 cups chopped mushrooms any variety
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb pasta or dry wide egg noodles
- 1 bunch chives finely chopped – about 2 tbsp
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flower
- 3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, Gouda, or sharp cheddar cheese or a combination.
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter on a baking dish and spread butter evenly on the dish. Set aside.
- In pan heat 2 tbsp butter and sauté onions and garlic until tender and onions are slightly caramelized – about 5 minutes. Add paprika and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Add cooked pasta, chopped chives and mix together.
Make the cheese sauce.
- In a saucepan melt 2 tbsp butter. Add 2 tbsp flour and whisk in until bubbles form.
- Now add 3 cups milk and 1 cup sour cream and whisk in to incorporate the flour into a creamy texture and bubbles start forming at the edges. Add cheese and melt into the sauce. This makes a real cheesy mushroom stroganoff.
- If you want to go lighter on the cheese sauce cut down on the milk to 2 cups, 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 cup sour cream, and the cheese down to 2 cups.
- Pour cheese sauce into the mushroom pasta and toss together. Taste test for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Pour mushroom pasta into buttered baking dish and sprinkle with extra cheese. Place in oven for 30 minutes until mushroom and cheese are bubbly. Mushroom Stroganoff is ready.