Take a traditional Indian chickpea curry called chole and add some fall-inspired butternut squash and what you get is this delectable butternut squash and chickpea curry. I love this curry so much I have been making it often this fall. The butternut squash adds a nice sweetness to the dish, and the addition of peppers and potatoes combined with chickpeas makes this an awesome one-pot meal. Served with naan or chapatis or ladled over steaming rice or quinoa – either way you have it this curry is delicious.
Butternut Squash & Chickpea Curry
- 1 lb cut butternut squash
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into thick slices or chunks
- 1 bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely crushed
- 1 15oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Red chilies (optional)
- Cilantro for garnish as much as you want
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the garlic and onions until onions are translucent.
- Add all the spices and toast in oil.
- Next add all the vegetables and chickpeas. Add salt and 4 cups water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add 2 cups more water if the water has evaporated and continue cooking vegetables for an additional 15 minutes until all the squash and chickpeas are tender. Turn the stove off.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro and mix in. Butternut squash curry is ready.
- Serve butternut squash curry over white rice or quinoa.
6 thoughts on “Butternut Squash & Chickpea Curry”
Nice recipe! I have not tried butternut squash with chick peas.
Thanks Basanthi. The squash adds a nice sweetness to chole almost like adding brown sugar but with natural sweet veggies 😊
This is as innovative as it can get for a Thanksgiving Feast,, The Goodness of Protein and Fiber Rich Chick Peas along with the Sweet Taste of Butternut Squash Is a Stealer on a Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu. Dolly, thank you dear so much for all the Time and efforts you invest in this blog – especially the alluring Images. My love and hugs to Hitesh and to your beautiful daughters …
Thank you Vinatha Mami! Wish you and everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!! 😋❤️
Tempting side 👌😃
Thank you 😊