Here is a recipe for Indian style eggs that is packed full of flavor with good for you ginger and turmeric.
About the recipe
In India scrambled or fried eggs are typically made with chopped onions, cilantro, green chilies, and finely grated ginger, and sometimes spiced with a pinch of turmeric. I love making Indian scrambled eggs for a change from my usual omelet. If you’re looking for a quick and easy new take on eggs (not new to Indians) with the added heat of chilis and fresh ginger, give these Indian style eggs a try! Have them with naan or chapati for a compete Indian experience.
Indian Scrambled Eggs with Geen Chili, Ginger, Onions & Turmeric
recipe for 2 servings
- 5 large eggs. I use 2 egg yolks and 3 egg whites.
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped (about 4 tbsp)
- 1 small green chili finely chopped for flavor and some heat. If you don’t want it spicy, remove the seeds and then finely chop green chili
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste or finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
In a pan melt 2 tbsp butter until it gets hot. Add cumin seeds and toast in butter for a few seconds until the cumin aroma is released. Add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, chopped onions, ginger and garlic paste. Fry in the butter for a minute.
Add eggs, salt and pepper and mix into the onions and spices. Keep stirring the eggs until they are cooked to your liking. You may want to add more butter if the eggs start sticking to the pan.
Once eggs are cooked, add chopped cilantro and mix-into the scrambled eggs.
Serve eggs with a side of naand, chapati, toast or pita bread.
Cook’s Notes: You can get creative by adding other vegetables such as spinach, and peppers. These eggs make a great stuffing for burritos too.
For a different variation on eggs, give these Indian scrambled eggs a try.