This is an easy no fuss side dish that is just plain good for you. Super greens like Swiss chard are packed with nutrients and this recipe uses up a good amount of chard leaves.
Super food leafy greens
Leafy greens like chard are full of vitamins and minerals, They are rich in fiber, rich in calcium, potassium, antioxidants, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, vitamin A, rich in folate, and have a good amount of vitamin E. Is there anything more I can add that is good about leafy greens? For more information on leafy greens and their nutrient packed value to our diet take a look at this link Leafy Greens. How Food Affects our Health from Joybauer.com.
Swiss chard sauté is a win win vegetable dish with loads of super greens and good for you chopped garlic, ginger and turmeric.
Red and Green Swiss Chard Sauté
- 4 cups finely chopped green chard
- 4 cups finely chopped red chard
- 4-6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 -1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a sauté pan heat 1 tbsp oil and lightly sauté garlic and ginger. Next add turmeric and lightly toast in oil for 2-3 seconds.
- Add all the greens, salt and 1 cup water. Cook covered for 10 minutes until greens are tender. Because the chard leaves are tough I had to cook them a little longer than other greens in this recipe.
- Serve Swiss chard as a side dish with fish, chicken, or just have it over a toasted baguette, or with some rice, quinoa or couscous.
Cook’s Notes: To turn this into a more substantial main dish, add lightly browned tofu and cook along with the greens.