This is an easy no fuss side dish that is just plain good for you. Super greens like Swiss chard are packed with nutrients and this recipe uses up a good amount of chard leaves. Leafy greens like chard are full of vitamins and minerals, They are rich in fiber, rich in calcium, potassium, antioxidants, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, vitamin A, rich in folate, and have a good amount of vitamin E. Is there anything more I can add that is good about leafy greens? For more information on leafy greens and their nutrient packed value to our diet take a look at this link Leafy Greens. How Food Affects our Health from Joybauer.com.
Swiss chard sauté is a win win vegetable dish with loads of super greens and good for you chopped garlic, ginger and turmeric.
Red and Green Swiss Chard Sauté
- 4 cups finely chopped green chard
- 4 cups finely chopped red chard
- 4-6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 -1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a sauté pan heat 1 tbsp oil and lightly sauté garlic and ginger. Next add turmeric and lightly toast in oil for 2-3 seconds.
- Add all the greens, salt and 1 cup water. Cook covered for 10 minutes until greens are tender. Because the chard leaves are tough I had to cook them a little longer than other greens in this recipe.
- Serve Swiss chard as a side dish with fish, chicken, or just have it over a toasted baguette, or with some rice, quinoa or couscous.
Cook’s Notes: To turn this into a more substantial main dish, add lightly browned tofu and cook along with the greens.